Snuneymuxw Territory (Nanaimo, B.C.) – The Indigenous Forestry Scholarship Program (IFSP) is an existing program that the Forestry Council, in partnership with the Ministry of Forests has developed. The program is designed to grow and connect Indigenous talent to BC Forest Sector Workforce opportunities. It is a work and study mentorship program that provides the opportunity for Indigenous students to access funding and enter into forestry-related training or educational programs plus a mentored summer work experience in their field.
The program provides Indigenous students with:
- Tuition and living expenses scholarship
- Paid summer work-term experience and one-on-one mentorship with a program partner
- Support from your local Indigenous Skills and Employment Training Program (ISETP) centre
Our work includes helping Indigenous students find appropriate pathways to work placements they are interested in, and providing continuous support to keep them on track towards their professional development and success. IFSP also supports retention and advancement by providing opportunities for upgrading and laddering to gain the skills.
Our relationships with First Nations communities, organizations and individuals are the foundation, and key, to the success of the IFSP program and enhances our ability to recruit, mentor, and connect the students with industry partners.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Fill out an intake form. Anyone interested in the Indigenous Forestry Scholarship Program must complete the intake form in order to receive their application.
2. Once you have submitted the intake form, our Workforce Advisor will get in touch directly with your application form.
3. Before sending your application in, compile all of the necessary documentations to go with the application (See page 1 of the application form for a list of documents you'll need to attach with your application).
4. E-mail your completed application to email@example.com with all of the necessary attachments. (You can also submit your completed application by mail to 669 Centre Street, Nanaimo BC V9R 4Z5)
– 30 –
Phone: 604-971-3448 ext.46351
The Forestry Council is an advocacy organization that works to support Nations in efforts to increase their role in the governance and stewardship of forest lands and resources, and participation in the forest sector as full partners. We do not represent the Nations, nor are we a consultatory body.